Yardley is named in the Domesday Book and was referred to in the 972 King Edgar's Charter as Gyrdleah. The parish of Yardley was added to Birmingham and Warwickshire in 1911. The ancient parish of Yardley included the areas known as Stechford and Hall Green.
The area of Gilbertstone straddles the border of Yardley and South Yardley. Yardley has a Tudor hall called Blakesley Hall and an old church, St Edburgha’s that dates back to the 13th century.
Yardley also contains a moated medieval site called "Kent's Moat". Now dry but excavations have shown evidence of inhabitation from as early as the 12th Century. Yardley has three main primary schools. These are Yardley, Hobmoor and Lyndon Green.
It also has two main secondary schools, which are Cockshut Hill and Sheldon Heath. Yardley's nearest railway station is Stechford railway station, connecting to Birmingham city centre, and Solihull.